Thursday, April 28, 2011

What to Say?

I've stopped and started several blog posts this last week. They either started out real strong and fizzled out quickly or were kind of lame from the beginning. I want to talk about why I'm walking, why this cause has become a big issue for me, why - after doing this 60 miles last time - I am knowingly putting my feet through that torture again. But I honestly don't know where to start.

I guess I'll start with a story that will make you all think I'm crazy. This is something I don't think I've ever shared with anyone before. (And now I'm sharing it with anyone who reads this! Way to start small, Me.)

I don't know where I heard the term "breast cancer" first. I do know that I was young when I came to understand what it meant. I remember obsessing over the fact that a lump could turn into something deadly in your own body; that your body could essentially turn on itself. I don't know how or why, but I became convinced I would get breast cancer on the outer side of my left breast. I checked for lumps constantly and, as any woman knows, teenage years are extremely lumpy years. I would poke and poke and poke and ensure nothing ever changed size (had no real knowledge of what to look for, just lumps). Never spoke of it to my mom, convinced that if I uttered my fears they would be realized.

When I finally started going in for checks, I was educated on what to look for, how to do it, and when to be worried. It alleviated most of my anxiety over the issue, but to this day I still get freaked out a little when I go to do my self breast exam.

So, this is why I'm walking: I want to help find a cure for future generations of girls so they don't have to worry, wonder, and fret about breast cancer. There are so many things to stress about already, let us take one off the table.

60 miles is a long way. It is Seattle to Olympia; Garden Grove to Malibu. Trust me, walking 20 miles for three days straight is no picnic. Blisters, black toenails, and quivering leg muscles are in my future. But I do it gladly if it will help raise awareness and funds for research to get even a little bit closer to finding a cure. 60 miles I can do.

It sucks that we have to live in a world where diseases like breast cancer must take up our time and thoughts. Let's help end it so future generations can think about more worth-while things. Let's make it so breast cancer is a part of medical history, not emerging medical research.

Please join me by donating today. I'll gladly do the walking and campaigning knowing I have your love and support.

Thanks.

No comments: