Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Girls

Let's talk about boobs, shall we?

Well, that got your attention.

Specifically, let's talk about breast cancer.

You knew that was coming. This site is, after all, dedicated to the Breast Cancer 3-Day... how could you have expected any differently?

One in eight women will develop breast cancer in her lifetime. Based on a two year study, 12% of women born today will develop breast cancer at some point in their lives. I don't know about you, but those numbers scare the crap outta me.

Susan G. Komen for the Cure is out to change those numbers. Almost all the money donated to the foundation (85%) goes toward education, research, and preventative measures. The other 15% is divided between administration and fundraising. Doesn't seem too shabby in my book.

This foundation has literally touched every faculty of breast cancer research and education for the last 25 years. They help people stay afloat while in treatment and they help bring awareness to the world that this is disease needs to be stopped.

Komen takes it's role very seriously. How could it not?

Susan G. Komen for the Cure was founded 25 years ago by Susan G. Komen's sister*, Nancy, when she promised her dying sister she would do everything within her power to end breast cancer. *Don't click on that link unless you're ready to cry.

While The Breast Cancer 3-Day is not an actual Komen event, 85% of the proceeds go directly to the foundation with the remaining 15% going to the National Philanthropic Trust for Breast Cancer.

Need more convincing to donate?

This is the video that actually pushed me over from just thinking about walking to actually signing up to walk 60 miles.

No comments: